Sunday, January 3, 2010

My First Impressions

Because I am a Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholar, I am required to write a report a few months into my experience about the year so far. It was a learning experience for me to try to summarize up over 3 months of intense feelings, experiences and events. Here are my unedited thoughts. I welcome commentary, as it may help me to understand Caracas even better.

My first impressions of Venezuela and its people have been varied. I was, in part, pleasantly surprised by how much help has been offered to me in the little time that I have been there. No petition for assistance went unheeded. In my opinion, there isn’t a “typical Venezuelan” person. The racial and cultural differences in the population are fascinating; walking through Caracas and observing the people is akin to sitting in a park in New York City and watching the people go by. The Venezuelans that I have met, for the most part, have been very warm, happy people and have invited me into their families and homes with open arms.


Lunch with Rotary Las Mercedes President Pedro, wife Gina and daughter Nevai



Giving a Rotary Club of Cleveland pen to my awesome host counselor, Katy.

However, many Venezuelans have told me that in recent years, the people haven’t been as optimistic or open as they once were; some blame the government, others blame globalization, still others blame the economic recession. The people are extremely divided in their opinions of the government, and it is not uncommon for anti- and pro-government groups to clash. One of my goals for the rest of the year is to speak with more of the pro-government people, as most of the people I have met through my university tend to lean towards anti-government sentiments.



A pro-Chavez, anti-USA sign and sticker I saw outside of the UCV's library.

Everyone has their own reasons for these changes and divisions in attitudes, opinions and behaviors, but everyone seems to agree that safety is a problem in Caracas today. I have received many warnings not to go to certain parts of town, leave my house alone after a certain time, etc. It can be frustrating for me sometimes to not feel comfortable leaving my house after 6PM when I have errands to run or I need to meet up with a classmate, but I have found ways around it. It’s just another aspect of life in the big city that I have to adjust to.



On a more positive note, Venezuela itself is a beautiful country. In Caracas, there is artwork everywhere, parks abound and the variety of birds is astounding. I have a fascination with the brightly colored macaws that fly free in pairs over the city. I can hear them at 5:30AM when I get up for class, rawking and waking everyone up; much different than the roosters we’re used to hearing at that hour! El Ávila, a beautiful mountain that can be seen to the north from any part of Caracas, boasts many trails to climb up and cable cars to ascend for an easier trip up.



At the keys off the coast of Venezuela with my Venezuelan "brother," Goldsmidt

I took a weekend trip to the beach, in the state of Falcon, and was impressed by the beauty of the islands off the coast of the country. I attended an all-day free music festival hosted by the government and the energy in the crowd was electric and very positive. At the UCV, there is always a wide variety of theater and dance shows offered every week. The Aula Magna, as the theater is called, is well known in all of Latin America for its superior acoustic qualities. I attended a modern version of the Nutcracker ballet, with flamenco dancers and stilt walkers and a dialogue by the Venezuelan actress, Elba Escobar. Groups of aspiring jugglers, dancers and friends get together after class and on the weekends outside of the theater.




I couldn't resist posting this picture. Terry the ferocious puppy set it up all by himself. He finally tired of jumping up and trying to get on my bed after I ignored him. The next time I looked down at him, this was what I saw-note the placement of his toy...what a goofball! He's definitely my favorite Venezuelan puppy!

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2010 has to bring!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Karen, interesting blogging you got there. You forgot to add the following:

    Check this out:

    Daewoo Nubira 2002 in the USA
    http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=342029464&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national#0

    Daewoo Nubira 2002 in Venezuela
    http://articulo.tucarro.com.ve/MLV-23064001-_JM


    I mean you gotta crack yourself...

    at the 2.15 rate that would be 5,353.50 BFs
    at the 2.60 rate that would be 6,474.00 BFs
    at the 4.30 rate that would be 10,707.00 BFs

    But is has a price of 45,000 BFs, I mean that's almost 4.5 times more.

    Welcome to venezuela the only country where when you drive off from the showroom you car goes up in value LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! That's pretty crazy...

    ReplyDelete